Hair loss and BPH are prevalent these days, and for these issues, the most widely used herb in today’s world is Saw palmetto. Saw Palmetto capsules are widely used with reviews asserting it to be a magical herb for reversing DHT, which underlies various common men’s health issues.
Saw palmetto’s benefits for hair loss are known for centuries, making it a herb famous in traditional medicines. Saw Palmetto berries are very rich in flavonoids, plant sterols and fatty acids. It is an immune booster and possesses anti-inflammatory properties.
Based on reviews, let us consider the pros of saw palmetto:
- Androgenic Alopecia- Saw palmetto helps deal with male pattern hair loss or baldness, termed androgenic alopecia. Hair loss affects a person’s overall personality and can affect self-image and confidence. Men’s naturally higher testosterone level may work against them. As men start ageing, testosterone coverts into Dihydrotestosterone (DHT) in the presence of enzyme 5-alpha reductase. DHT formation affects hair follicles, as DHT causes hair loss by making follicles shrink and reducing the life cycle of hair. Saw palmetto inhibits the action of 5α-reductase, preventing conversion of testosterone to DHT, thus these capsules are beneficial for hair growth. Saw palmetto capsules by BestSource Nutrition help in the re-growth of hair following hair loss. A review article by Sidharth, published in the Journal of Cosmetology and Trichology 2016, concluded that Saw palmetto berry (SPB) extract shows 5-a reductase inhibitory effect. I always recommend my clients Saw Palmetto oil or extracts by BestSource Nutrition contain various phytosterols (e.g. β-sitosterol), fatty acids, β-carotene and polysaccharides, which act as a multi-site inhibitor-cum-blocker of DHT (dihydrotestosterone). Along with this, the extracts strongly inhibit the conversion of testosterone to DHT, thus preventing hair loss.
- Benign Prostate Hyperplasia-Reviews suggestmen face enlarged prostate or benign prostate hyperplasia- BPH generally because of an inflamed prostate with age. Saw palmetto capsules are an excellent anti-inflammatory that support a healthy prostate gland. The inhibition of DHT helps in reducing the multiplication of prostate cells, thereby reducing enlargement of gland. A review study published in The New England Journal of Medicine, 2006, 354:557-566 states that using saw palmetto capsules has positive effect on BPH and UTI.
- Prostate Cancer-Reviews find saw palmetto capsules to be most commonly used for prostate cancer. By slowing down the conversion of testosterone to DHT, these extracts and capsules generally block prostate enlargement and prevent cancer. Saw palmetto capsules help in destroying the cancer producing cells in the prostate. Prostate enlargement is a leading cause for cancer because of excessive cancer cell growth. Reviews say that slowing down the conversion of testosterone to DHT reduces enlargement of prostate gland, which also prevents prostate cancer. An enlarged prostate may also put pressure on the urethra, which causes frequent urination. Saw palmetto capsules work as the best natural remedy for all these conditions.
- Muscle Building- Saw palmetto capsules inhibit the enzyme 5-alpha reductase that converts testosterone to DHT. By reducing the amount of testosterone converting to DHT, these capsules elevate the muscle building effect. Thus, many athletes using these capsules offer positive reviews of the muscle building capability of the capsules.
Reviews about the cons of Saw palmetto:
- Saw Palmetto, although well known as a male remedy to prevent hair loss and to address prostate and men’s health issues, is not usually recommended for females.However, reviews suggest thatin some conditions where there is a need to correct hormonal imbalance,such as PCOS & post-menopause, Saw Palmetto capsules can be prescribed as an effective remedy for women. Excessive DHT production may tend to make some women suffer from muscle weakness and hair loss. Therefore, in such conditions Saw Palmetto may provide assistance by inhibiting 5-a-reductase, so that a sufficient level of testosterone can benefit even the female patients.
Saw palmetto is a widely used and a safe supplement. The properly extracted efficacious extract, in the form of capsules, such as the one provided by BestSource Nutrition, can help address various hair loss and other health issues for all men and some women.