In recent times flaxseed oil is trending as a functional food due to its health benefits and nutritional profile. In this article, let’s unlock the potential benefits of flaxseed oil – reducing serum cholesterol levels.
Flaxseed Oil is an edible oil derived from the seeds of the Flax plant (Linum Usitatissimum). It is also known as linseed oil, a high source of essential fatty acids comprised of alpha-linolenic acid (ALA- Omega 3), linoleic acid (Omega 6) and oleic acid (omega 9). An ideal choice to provide a balanced omega fatty acids intake, especially for vegetarians.
The body uses ALA from flaxseed oil and converts it to other fatty acids, including DHA (Docosahexaenoic acid) and EPA (Eicosapentaenoic acid) for better absorption.
Flaxseed oil is commercially available in both capsule and liquid form. Mostly, flaxseed oil capsules are convenient as they encapsulate oil that helps to prevent oxidation. Research shows that flaxseed oil is effective in reducing LDL (bad) cholesterol and boosting protective HDL cholesterol – thus lower cholesterol levels in the body.
Key Benefit of Flaxseed Oil – Lower Cholesterol Levels:
Clinical studies suggest that flaxseed oil aids in reducing cholesterol levels and serum lipids with cardio protective, anti-inflammatory, and anti-cancer properties.
- A study observed a decrease in the level of both total cholesterol and LDL-cholesterol by 12 and 15%, respectively, within just seven days conducted among young healthy adults with normal blood cholesterol concentrations. (Nutrition and Metabolism, Vol-9; 2012 by Mette Kristensen and colleagues).
- A research published in Journal of Nutrition Metabolism London 2012; 9:8 has provided data - use of flaxseed oil with the ability to raise fecal fat discharge and control cholesterol. The fat bound and eliminated by the body was significant with use of flaxseed oil.
- Another study reveals that flaxseed oil lower cholesterol levels due to its ALA (alpha-linolenic acid) content. It plays a role in decreasing low-density lipoprotein (LDL) or bad cholesterol. The study concluded that, those who consumed the corn oil had no change in their cholesterol levels, while those who consumed the flaxseed oil had a significant decrease in LDL. (A randomized, double blind, crossover study. Nutrition Journal, 14, 39).
Some research suggest that flaxseed oil may have beneficial effects on cholesterol levels when taken as a supplement.
Other Benefits – Flaxseed Oil Capsules:
Best Source Nutrition’s Flaxseed Oil Capsules are blended with natural Vitamin E (tocopherol) and makes it even more better option to obtain balance of essential fatty acids (omega 3, 6 &9) in the diet for optimum health benefits such as:
- Best for heart, skin, hair, and joint health
- Better Antioxidant support due to natural Vitamin E (tocopherol)
- Cold pressed, solvent free flaxseed oil
- Helps to lower cholesterol levels
- Improves Skin moisture and softness
Flaxseed oil contains short-chain essential omega 3 fatty acids, which offers health benefits in cardiovascular diseases by lowering serum cholesterol level, reducing inflammation. and decreasing platelet aggregation -thus, promoting healthy heart function.
Best Source Nutrition’s flaxseed oil capsule is derived from fresh, whole, mature, flax seeds by cold pressed process to make it 100% solvent free and encapsulated. Most of its beneficial nutrients are retained, as oil extraction is done by cold-press process. Therefore, nutrient loss is less when compared to chemically processed oils.