Phosphatidylserine is an important component of brain cells. It is vital for the normal functioning of the brain. Natural supplements of phosphatidylserine can help to support brain health and memory, control stress and improving symptoms of ADHD.
Aging is a natural process of the body. It also initiates many changes in the body. Along with some visible physical changes such as greying of hair, wrinkling of the skin, our body undergoes some internal changes that we cannot see but can experience. A key change is memory loss – which may occur to a variable extent, cognitive defects affecting memory and analysis ability, slowing of reflexes, attention deficiency, and a decline in thinking ability. These changes relate to brain functioning. A healthy lifestyle and a stress-free state of mind can help in maintaining brain health, as stress increases the chances of developing cognitive defects as we age.
Phosphatidylserine is being much discussed nowadays in this regard. It had been a topic of research in the past with further researches ongoing. So what is phosphatidylserine?
Phosphatidylserine is a phospholipid, which is important for building brain cells. It is an important component of cell membranes and is vital for maintaining cellular functions. Our body produces phosphatidylserine, but we also get it from food items. It is important for the normal functioning of the brain.
Read the link between Phosphatidylserine & brain here.
Phosphatidylserine has found use in improving mental functions such as memory, attention deficit, and cognitive dysfunction, especially in older persons. Some studies conducted on the effects of phosphatidylserine also show its possibility of uses in overcoming some mental issues:
- ADHD: A clinical trial conducted by Hirayama S and others concluded that phosphatidylserine supplements significantly improved symptoms of ADHD and auditory memory (short term) in children. It was mentioned as a safe and natural nutritional strategy to improve mental performance in children. Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) is among the most common behavioural disorder found in children of school-going age. Studies show the use of phosphatidylserine led to significant improvement in symptoms related to ADHD.
- Depression: A study by Maggioni M and others concluded that consumption of phosphatidylserine supplements improved depressive symptoms, behaviour, and memory in patients of depressive disorders. The study was carried out on 10 elderly women with depressive disorders over a period of 15 days. It led to a decrease in the severity of the disease.
- Alzheimer’s disease: Phosphatidylserine may improve memory and brain functions for the short term in patients of Alzheimer’s. A study by Heiss WD conducted on 70 probable Alzheimer patients showed short-term improvement in mental functions in patients documented at 8 and 16 weeks.
- Improvement in sports performance: Studies show that Phosphatidylserine supplementation boosts performance and capability in athletes or active people. A study conducted by M. Kingsley and others on 14 active males, who were given 750 mg of soybean extracted phosphatidylserine for 10 days showed that exercise exhaustion time increased following supplementation.
- Improves cognitive function: A study by Parker AG and others concluded that phosphatidylserine supplementation improved cognitive function before exercise significantly. They also mentioned that it could benefit both athletes and non-athletes. This study was carried on 18 lower bodies, resistance-trained males of college-age for 14 days with Phosphatidylserine Supplements (from a Soy-derived supplement).
Moreover, some studies suggest that Phosphatidylserine could be beneficial for people with chronic stress. A study conducted by Hellhammer J and others concluded that subjects with high chronic stress may profit from phosphatidylserine supplementation. This study was conducted on 60 non-smoker men aged between 30-60 years who received PS supplementation or a matching placebo for 12 weeks.
From the above studies, it is obvious that phosphatidylserine has the potential to help in improving brain functions. It can manage memory loss, mood disorder, improve cognitive function and enhance sports performance in people. BestSource Nutrition’s phosphatidylserine capsules have 20% phosphatidylserine and 20% phosphatidylcholine from a natural vegetarian source (Non-GMO soy). This safe and natural supplement can help to restore normal brain functions.
Along with expert advice from your health care provider, Phosphatidylserine supplementation can help to manage old age-related cognitive decline if taken in the recommended dosage, in conjunction with a healthy and stress-free lifestyle.