Turmeric is an age-old golden spice used in Ayurveda for its health benefits. Curcumin is the bioactive compound present in turmeric, known for its anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties. Read this article to know more about this amazing spice.
Curcumin is the natural polyphenol and most active ingredient. The key compounds in turmeric are called curcuminoids responsible for several health benefits with antibacterial, anti-fungal, anti-inflammatory properties and strengthen immunity.
Curcumin (biochemical from turmeric) has health benefits such as:
- Managing inflammatory conditions of arthritis (study published in June 2016 issue of Arthritis Research & Therapy) – Ease symptoms of osteoarthritis
- Reduces anxiety and depression
- Helps in post-workout recovery
- Supports immune function
It is poorly absorbed by the body when ingested in the form of curcumin that limits its benefits. There are sources to increases its bioavailability.
1.Curcumin capsules - Bioavailability:
In combination with piperine, a compound present in black pepper enhances the absorption of curcumin in the body. Therefore, Best Source Nutrition’s Curcumin capsules with Piperine contains 95% curcumin extract with 95% piperine extract enhancing curcumin absorption in the body up to 2,000% by making it more readily available to be used by the body.
- Research suggests that the combination of curcumin with piperine improves absorption and makes it easier for curcumin to pass through the intestinal wall and bloodstream.
- It also slows down the breakdown of curcumin by the liver, increasing its blood levels.
- Improves digestion and reduces inflammation when taken in supplement/capsule form.
2. Health benefits of Curcumin capsules:
Research has shown that Curcumin with Piperine capsules helps in improving immunity and inflammation in the body. [Therapeutic Roles of Curcumin] 2013 [PubMed]
- Curcumin modulates several cells signaling pathway and neutralizes free radical, thus improves immunity.
- Reduces inflammation in the body and helpful in conditions like depression, pain, arthritis, hyperlipidemia, stomach ulcers, non-alcoholic fatty liver disease.
- Helps in the management of exercise-induced inflammation and muscle soreness.
- Studies done on the effectiveness of curcumin with piperine showed cancer prevention, reduction in inflammation, increased recovery in subjects due to its antioxidant properties.
- Curcumin improves brain-derived neurotropic factor (BDNF), a hormone is known to improve brain functions and lowers the risk of brain diseases.
3.The Recommended dosage of curcumin capsules:
For adults, start with one (1) capsule daily for one week, then increase one capsule twice daily. Athletes can take thrice daily. For further assistance, consult with your health care professional. Many studies suggest that curcumin and piperine capsules plays a predominant role in treating various ailments.
4.Gut benefits of turmeric extract:
The curcuminoids in turmeric activate the digestive enzymes in the gut for healthy digestion. It also reduces the bloating, flatulence, and acidity related problems; helps your body process food and aids in better digestion.
Best Source Nutrition Curcumin capsules with Piperine extract enhances the beneficial activity and supports digestion.
5.Extended benefits of Curcuminoids:
- Protects from cell damage and fights against free radical damage – Improves longevity.
- Manages muscle soreness, especially after work-out and helps in retaining tissue repair – Muscle recovery.
- The phytonutrients and curcuminoids in turmeric lowers cholesterol – Improve liver functions.
Curcumin is known worldwide for its health benefits, but the absorption capacity is relatively low. So, Best Source Nutrition’s Curcumin capsules with Piperine is online available dietary supplement, well known to increase its bioavailability significantly.