India is considered as ‘Diabetic capital of World’. The prevalence of diabetes in Indian population is 8.9%, according to the International Diabetes Federation.It is important to know what is Diabetes in order to manage it proficiently.
Diabetes is the major Lifestyle condition in India. Let us first understand, “What is Diabetes”? Diabetes refers to a group of diseases that affects how our body uses blood glucose. It is a group of metabolic disorder characterized by a high blood sugar level over a prolonged period of time. Symptoms often include frequent urination, increased thirst and increased appetite. Diabetes care is must because if left untreated, diabetes can cause many health complications which affects kidney, eyes, heart, feet, nerves among other organs. The major types of Diabetes are-
- Type 1 Diabetes- It is an autoimmune disease in which body’s own cell destroy the beta cells responsible for insulin production because of which insulin levels decreases in the body. It affects mainly children and young adults. Person becomes insulin dependent
- Type 2 Diabetes or Diabetes Mellitus- A most common condition mainly begins with insulin resistance. The primary cause of this is obesity, sedentary lifestyle and unhealthy eating pattern.
- Gestational Diabetes- It’s a type that occurs in pregnant woman during gestational period.
- Prediabetes- It implies that blood sugar level is high but not as high to be classified as Diabetes.
Now that you know “what is diabetes”, follow initial step towards Diabetes care to know Indian Diabetic Diet that mainly focus on-
- To provide adequate nutritious food.
- To control blood sugar and lipids
- To maintain ideal weight
- To minimize medication
- To prevent complications
Understanding of food components & role of Indian Diabetic diet in Diabetes care will help to prevent Diabetes, as follows:
Carbohydrate- Diabetics should choose a low-glycaemic index diet with a higher amount of fibre and minimally processed whole grain products like wheat, bajra, ragi.
Protein- Adequate dietary protein intake in type 2 Diabetes is of specific importance for Diabetes care because Diabetics have low insulin secretion, as well as its action is reduced. According to a study poorly controlled diabetics have higher incidence of protein breakdown and synthesis. Good amount of bioavailable protein in food is essential for correct insulin activity, build muscle and to provide energy.
Fat- Studies indicate that indicate that a higher intake of polyunsaturated fat like Omega 3 fatty acids could be beneficial for Diabetes care, whereas a higher intake of saturated fat and trans-fat could adversely affect glucose metabolism and insulin resistance.
Vitamins and Minerals- Vitamin D, Biotin, Chromium, Coenzyme Q10, Magnesium, Manganese are some of the effective vitamin and mineral that helps to prevent Diabetes.
The functional foods which should be included in Indian Diabetic Diet are-
- Cinnamon- cinnamon consumption prevents Diabetes and reduces serum glucose, triglyceride, LDL cholesterol, and total cholesterol in people with type 2 diabetes.
- Fenugreek- The addition of powdered fenugreek seed (15 g) soaked in water significantly reduced the subsequent postprandial glucose levels, thus prevents Diabetes.
- Karela or Bittergourd - Karela prevents Diabetes as it contains Polypeptide-p, a plant polyphenol having hypoglycaemic effect.
Just having Indian diabetic diet isn’t enough. Consider following for optimum Diabetes Care-
- Research has suggested certain plant extracts help in management of blood sugar levels. Fit Body Diabetes Care Veg Capsule is such diabetes support formula with standardized herbal extracts in specific concentration which can be taken along with diet to get maximum result and prevents diabetic complications.
- Active Lifestyle like walking, yoga, and other aerobic exercises.
- Weight management.
- Less stress.
- Sound sleep.