- Post Graduate Diploma in Dietetics & Hospital Food Service.
- Certified Diabetes Educator.
Curcumin is a bright yellow compound found in the Curcuma Longa plant species, a member of the ginger family. It is sold as an herbal supplement, cosmetic ingredient, food flavouring as well as food colouring agents. Many studies show that it has major benefits for your body and brain. Let’s take a look at some of the major benefits that one can derive from curcumin. Have a look at the top 10 benefits of Curcumin.
Curcuma Longa commonly known as Turmeric is one of the most revered and oldest cultivated spice plants in South East Asian countries. Turmeric contains a host of bioactive compounds with powerful medicinal properties. Turmeric has compounds known as curcuminoids, the most important of which is curcumin. Curcumin is the principal curcuminoid present in turmeric and has a host of health benefits attached.
- Antioxidant effects - Curcumin has very powerful antioxidant effects. It is potent enough to neutralize free radicals on its own protecting against cellular damage. It is also known to have one of the highest ORAC values helping improvise immunity manifolds.
- Natural anti-inflammatory compound- Inflammation is an incredibly important signal when your body fights foreign invaders. Curcumin has a pivotal role in repairing the damage done due to inflammation. It is also known to manage exercise induced inflammation and muscle soreness.
- Healing properties - Curcumin has highly effective healing properties. It is strong enough to heal wounds and ward off infections arising post injuries, cuts, burns, stings, etc. Both application of turmeric externally as well as using curcumin supplements are beneficial in palliative care.
- Cell senescence - Many studies are conducted to find out the role of curcumin in the modulation of ageing. These studies prove that curcumin shows cell senescence and hence may help delay ageing and fight age-related chronic diseases.
- Effective nootropic supplement - Curcumin is regarded as a highly effective nootropic supplement against neurodegeneration. It may improve cognitive function and memory in healthy adults. It boosts brain-derived neurotrophic factor, linked to improved brain function and a lower risk of brain diseases.
- Heart healthy - Curcumin has beneficial effects on several factors known to play a role in heart disease. It improves the function of the endothelium and is a potent anti-inflammatory agent and antioxidant that may help in reducing hyperlipidemia.
- Neuroprotective effects - Curcumin may be useful in preventing and treating Alzheimer’s disease since it is known that it has beneficial effects on inflammation and oxidative damage that play a major role in Alzheimer’s. Curcumin has incredible benefits against depression, anxiety, dementia and other neurological illnesses.
- Cancer protective - Turmeric has been studied as a beneficial herb in cancer treatment and been found to affect cancer growth, development and spread at the molecular level. Studies have shown that curcumin can contribute to the death of cancerous cells and reduce angiogenesis (growth of new blood vessels in tumours) and metastasis (spread of cancer).
- Supports joint health - Curcumin being a well-known as anti-inflammatory is known to help in the management of arthritis and swellings of the joints. Patients respond very well to Curcumin supplements specially the ones with added piperine. Curcumin can help speed up joint recovery and movement in adults.
- Reduces Stress - Curcumin is known to modulate the release of serotonin and dopamine which can in turn help reduce stress. Turmeric is also known to help eliminate sleep deprivation and rightly so it is a bedtime ritual for many to improve mood, cut depression, relax the mind and restore normalcy.
And to sum it up, Curcumin is dynamic and has almost magical properties to benefit the mind and body immensely.
Well reading these benefits we are sure your search for curcumin supplements have begun. Look no further, as BestSource Nutrition has recently added 95% Curcumin to its portfolio. This product will ensure high bioavailable turmeric as your aid to good health. With the goodness of premium quality ingredients just 1 capsule a day can help you get almost 500 mg of curcumin extract along with piperine for better absorption within the body.