Phosphatidylserine is a phospholipid compound that aids in various aspects to improvise on stress and sanity. It has various positive influences on the body. Out of which we have listed down the top 7 benefits of phosphatidylserine.
Phosphatidylserine (PS) is easily available as a nutritional supplement these days. It is been used for various purposes from therapeutic to athletic needs. Phosphatidylserine is a naturally occurring membrane phospholipid that is found in high concentrations in brain tissues where it compromises 10-20% of the total phospholipid pool. Phosphatidylserine levels deplete rapidly with aging resulting in diminished thinking skills and memory decline. Hence PS supplementation may play a key role in keeping the memory sharp as one gets older. It can easily be concluded that phosphatidylserine benefits are many and has a positive impact on brain health by improving mindfulness.
Phosphatidylserine benefits are listed below in various health conditions.
- Phosphatidylserine stops the hyperactive production of cortisol (stress hormone) in the body and helps reduce anxiety levels. Management of anxiety by lowering cortisol is critical in sports to give best performance.
- Some clinical studies have found a co-relation between the use of phosphatidylserine supplement and reduction of depression and anxiety. Depression and anxiety is quiet common in athletes as well as seniors.
- Phosphatidylserine can also be paired with omega 3 fatty acid supplements to help reduce the symptoms of Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD).
- Patients supplemented with PS for 12 weeks showed an improvement in age associated memory impairment (AAMI). The results suggest that the compound may be a promising candidate for treating memory loss in later life.
- Higher cortisol levels are linked to abdominal obesity. Since phosphatidylserine reduces the cortisol levels in the body, it also reduces the body’s tendency to hold fat around the stomach and thereby assists in lowering abdominal fat.
- Phosphatidylserine decreases the elevated cortisol levels and induces a more sound / peaceful sleep.
- Supplementation with 600 mg of phosphatidylserine supplement, every day for 10 days simultaneously, blunted the cortisol response before and during exercise, leading to reduced exercise induced stress.
Though the body can make some amount of phosphatidylserine but most of it is obtained from food. You can increase your intake though food, by including foods that are rich in phosphatidylserine like soy, white beans, cabbage, egg yolks, chicken liver, and beef liver. But unfortunately, it's difficult for your body to absorb sufficient amounts from dietary sources and hence the need for supplementation.
These days it can be commonly bought as an OTC supplement. This compound was initially derived from bovine cortex (cattle brain) but because of safety concerns revolving around mad cow disease, now-a-days they are commonly made from soy. To buy a good quality phosphatidylserine, check phosphatidylserine supplement at BestSource Nutrition. These vegetarian capsules come as a complex of PS along with PC (phosphatidylcholine). PS is the primary cephalin component of the inner cell membrane whereas PC is the cephalin component of the outer cell membrane. Both together ensuring that they maintain the cell structure of the brain tissues.