PCOS is a commonly occurring hormonal disorder among females and a major reason for infertility. Management of this condition is often difficult. Natural methods and supplements provide an excellent way to relieve symptoms and improve the quality of life for women suffering from PCOS.
Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, or PCOS, is among the most common disorders for women of reproductive age. Research pegs that 5-10% of women suffer from PCOS, negatively affecting fertility. Let us examine this disorder and understand how simple methods and natural supplements such as red clover, nettle leaf, and flaxseed oil can help alleviate this condition.
PCOS is an endocrine disorder that leads to an imbalance in the two fertility-regulating hormones- estrogen and progesterone- among women. This imbalance makes it increasingly difficult to get pregnant. Though the precise cause of PCOS is yet to be identified, early symptoms include the onset of acne, sudden weight gain, irregular menstrual periods, fertility-related issues, and appearance of facial hair. These symptoms can increase with time. As the imbalance grows, the symptoms aggravate insulin resistance, sleep apnea, and heart disorders. As there is no single cause for the onset and aggravation of the condition, no clear line of treatment exists for PCOS. Therefore, natural supplements are considered the safest way to control and manage this disorder.
For most women, even though a healthy diet and exercise plan can work wonders to alleviate the symptoms of PCOS, support of natural supplements is still warranted. To help women with PCOS, certain natural supplements are found effective for mitigating the symptoms and bringing relief, while also lowering fertility and pregnancy risks for women, if taken as precautionary supplements. Some natural supplements include:
- Red Clover Herb: Red Clover herb is an excellent source of isoflavones. Red Clover is plant-derived and has a water-soluble class of chemicals called phytoestrogens. Isoflavone behaves like the fertility hormone estrogen, whose production and presence in the blood plays a key role in a woman getting pregnant. Red clover herb aids in balancing the level of estrogen in the bloodstream. As estrogen is one hormone impaired during PCOS, this improves the condition. Also, red clover is a rich source of several nutrients including calcium, magnesium, thiamine, phosphorus, niacin, potassium and Vitamin C. Try BestSource™ Red Clover Herb, available in 100gm pouches. These approved supplements are prepared from dried flowers of the red clover herb, cultivated in the pristine Himalayan soil.
- Nettle Leaf: Nettle Leaf is used in both traditional and contemporary medicines. The root and leaves of the nettle contain a number of biologically active compounds such as flavonoids with antioxidant properties. These active ingredients found in nettle leaf bind to the free radicals in the body and stimulate an increased production of sex hormone binding globulin (SHBG). Higher production of SHBG keeps free testosterone in check, thus helping relieve PCOS symptoms. Check out the BestSource™ Nettle Leaf (100gm) supplement that has premium nutritional value and aids the fight with PCOS and other female health conditions.
- Saw Palmetto Oil: Saw Palmetto Oil, derived from the berries of the saw palmetto, is incredible for the treatment of a variety of urogenital ailments in both men and women. The saw palmetto oil is rich in flavonoids and sterols. This oil directly interacts with the thyroid and other glands, balancing their functioning. PCOS patients are marked by unwanted facial hair growth and acne problems due to higher levels of the hormone dihydrotestosterone (DHT). Saw Palmetto Oil keeps the testosterone levels in check. Further, it deters the conversion of these into DHT by inhibiting the functioning of
5-alpha-reductase, an enzyme that helps in this conversion process; thus controlling these symptoms effectively. BestSource™’s Saw Palmetto Oil Caps are available as soft gels and find use in treating conditions related to women’s health like fertility problems, PCOS, or inability to get pregnant and for urinary and prostate problems in men.
- Soy Foods: Soy products are an important group of foods for women suffering from PCOS. Soy supplements are an important part of the diet as these supplements alleviate symptoms of PCOS. Soy supplements lower blood estrogen levels, thus stimulating higher production of sex hormone binding globulin (SHBG). This leads to the excretion of the estrogen through urine, balancing its levels in the body and mitigating the symptoms.
- Flaxseed Oil: Flaxseed is a rich source of Omega-3 fatty acids and dietary lignans. Flaxseed oil is said to decrease androgen and balance lipid levels in the body, thus helping with PCOS and fertility issues. 1-2 tbsp. of flaxseed oil as part of one’s diet is considered good to fight hyper-androgenic effects in the body. Flaxseed oil by BestSource™, available in a pack of 60 soft gels of 500mg each, has a balanced mix of essential fats. This flaxseed oil is absolutely solvent free, bringing hormonal balance and aiding in weight management and efforts to get pregnant.