Diabetes is a metabolic disorder with high blood sugar levels. To maintain blood glucose levels a well-planned diabetic diet using food for diabetics can help you learn how to control diabetes.
India is becoming the diabetic capital of the world, because diabetic people do not know how to control their blood sugar levels. Controlling your diabetes is a daily, monthly, and lifelong challenge.The basic rule on how to control diabetes or manage blood glucose level is to maintain blood sugar levels to as near normal as possible, chiefly using food for diabetics and exercise. Ninety percent of the diabetes solution is up to you, and diabetics can still lead a healthy life if they are attentive about diabetes care.
This may sound strong, but these eight easy and simple ways can help you understand how to control Diabetes-
- Understand diabetes- When diagnosed with diabetes, firstly you should understand the condition. As a diabetic, you are part of your health care team that includes the Diabetologist, Diabetes Educator, dietician and You. Understand the relation of medication, exercise and food for diabetics as well as the Diabetic Diet.Ask your health care team about how to control diabetes and maintain blood sugar levels by balancing your A1C, cholesterol and blood pressure. This planning will lower your chances of future diabetes complications.
- Keep an eye on your weight-If you are obese or overweight, your doctor may suggest that you should lose weight. Dropping excess weight and then maintaining a healthy weight is not only important for patients of Diabetes, but a healthy choice applicable to all. In overweight individuals, extra fat actually increases insulin resistance (when their bodies cannot properly use the hormone insulin). Hence, by losing weight, diabetics can become less insulin resistant and can use insulin better.For maintaining the ideal body weight, you can ask your dietician or diabetes educator to help you set short-term goals that are realistic to reach by incorporating the Diabetic Diet and recommending the right food for diabetics.
- Mind the food you are eating-Selection of food for diabetics is very important to maintain normal blood sugar levels. Eating mini servings throughout the day and food selection in respect to carbohydrates counting are two important rules of the Diabetic diet. Food for Diabetics include lean meats over red meat, more servings of fruits & vegetables,choosing healthy fats such as omega 3 fats and, most important, cutting down starches& sugary foods that can help you stay on track on how to control diabetes. Here, a dietitian can help you plan a balance diabetic diet.
- Natural herb booster- ‘Mother Nature’ offers many herbal treasures,among which, some herbs have blood glucose lowering properties without any side effects. A review article by Rashmi S, published in the Journal of Herbal Medicine 2016, concluded that incorporating herbs such as Gudmar, Cinnamon, Salacia, Fenugreek etc. in our daily routine can surely help in the prevention of pre-diabetics and in diabetes management. In addition, these natural herbs are helping diabetics to stay healthy for a longer time without progressing to further diabetes complications. Thus, choosing a natural herbal supplement such as FIT BODY™ Diabetes Care by BestSource Nutrition can be a smart choice. FIT BODY™ Diabetes Care is a combination of eight natural ingredients and it is specially designed to support overall Diabetes Care.
- Do not forget to be physically active-Physical activity is very important for management of blood sugar levels. Any physical exercise helps in blood sugar regulation. However, to achieve this, you do not need to run a marathon. About 30 minutes of physical activity, which includes walking, gym & yoga,five days in a week is recommended for good diabetes management.Physical exercise helps in decreasing the blood sugar levels, so that muscles can use glucose without insulin.Therefore, working out regularly can improve the overall blood A1C levels.
- Keep an eye on your blood glucose-Monitoring of the blood sugar levels helps you to assess your condition, just like using a flashlight. Check your blood glucose levels thrice a week for both fasting and post meal to remain updated about your blood sugar management situation and requirements. Checking your blood sugar levels and maintaining it is called self-monitoring blood glucose level (SMBG).
- Sleep well- Insufficient sleep or disturbed sleep can upset your hormonal balance. Disturbed sleep can lead to increased appetite, high blood sugar levels, and weight gain. In fact, one night of disturbed sleep can cause a decline in insulin sensitivity by nearly 25 percent.So ensure that you follow a fixed sleep routine. For good sleep, you can opt for natural solutions such as chamomile herb tea and reduce your caffeine intake. If you still have trouble falling asleep, discuss the issue with your doctor to rule out sleep apnea, which is a sleep disorder.
- A touch of herbal detox- Diabetics generally have blood sugar levels on a higher side since they do not eat a healthy diet or exercise consistently. High blood sugar develops toxicity and alters the body’s normal metabolism and utilization of energy production. To overcome toxicity,using natural antioxidants is very important. A regular‘Tea Detox’ can help you manage diabetes. A research article by Sinija V R, published in Research Gate 2008, stated that antioxidants of Green tea, Oolong tea, Black Tea help in preventing the development of type 1 diabetes and can slow the progression once it has developed. EGCG has been found to increase insulin sensitivity and supports repair of damaged beta cells. Therefore, a combination of green tea, match tea, oolong tea etc. can help a Diabetic to manage high blood sugar levels or glucose levels. Here, BestSource Nutrition’s FIT BODY™ Detox tea, which is a combination of all natural green teas along with oolong tea and Rooibos tea,can assist your daily detox and can be incorporated as a food for diabetics.
Diabetics should be aware about the pros and cons of Diabetes. Using exercise, a proper diabetic diet and the natural ways on how to control Diabetes and manage it can help you live with the condition with ease.