Silymarin, the active component of Milk Thistle supplements, has been studied for decades and has proven to offer significant benefits among herbs used as liver supplements. Apart from detoxifying the liver, its uses include increasing the glutathione antioxidant property, protecting liver cells, helping liver cell regeneration, increasing bile production, reducing inflammation and improving the overall health of the liver.
Milk thistle is an ancient herb with traditional uses from over thousands of years among natural liver supplements for liver disorders. It derives its name from the milky white liquid that runs off the milk thistle plant’s leaves when they are crushed. Milk thistle’s active ingredient, Silymarin, is a bioflavonoid complex. Silymarin is mainly responsible for the health benefits provided by Milk thistle among liver supplements. Among liver supplements, milk thistle is considered hepatic (helps in enzyme formation, increasing bile production), demulcent (decreasing inflammation) and cholagogue (soothes the mucous membrane throughout the body).
Top 5 health benefits:
- Liver Health : The liver, our largest internal organ, is responsible for performing various essential detoxifying functions. Milk thistle supplements help in lowering the raised liver biochemical parameters and lipid peroxidation in peripheral blood cells. It gives benefits during chemotherapy induced liver toxicity.
- Antioxidant property: The active compound silymarin has powerful antioxidant benefits. It directly scavenges free radicals and chelates free iron and copper. It also prevents the formation of free radicals by inhibiting specific ROS (reactive oxygen species) producing enzymes or improving mitochondrial integrity in stressful conditions, inhibits toxins by dwelling in the body and helps cell renewal. Because of these antioxidant benefits, the varied uses of Milk Thistle silymarin have proven benefits of inhibiting development of breast, cervical and prostate cancers.
- Anti-Inflammatory action: Milk Thistle silymarin is a powerful anti-inflammatory. Inflammation is among main causes of liver and heart diseases. Silymarin benefits heart and liver health by reducing cell tensions which simulates protein synthesis, protecting the healthy cells from damage and mutation. Along with this, Milk Thistle supplements for liver also has uses with other traditional treatments to help improve total cholesterol, low-density lipoproteins and triglyceride levels.
- Liver detoxification: Milk thistle silymarin is a powerful detoxifier. Silymarin helps remove toxins from the body and also rebuilds liver cells. Silymarin uses include its effectiveness in reversing the harmful effects of alcohol consumption, pesticides in our food, heavy metals in our drinking water, and sometimes even poisons.
- Helps prevent Gallstones: Researches demonstrate that incorporating milk thistle silymarin in your daily routine can help lower the bile cholesterol levels. With this, gall stones are less likely to form when the bile has better circulation. Milk Thistle benefits include silymarin’s ability to purify the body of metabolic wastes; thereby uses of milk thistle include regulating the function of gall bladder.
Milk thistle is considered one of the safest and well tolerated herbs for improving liver health. Among the many liver supplements available, we found BestSource Nutrition Milk Thistle silymarin to be the best as it is standardized to 80% Silymarin and is tested and certified to meet strict quality control standards for potency and purity. This silymarin-rich Milk thistle extract capsule is among the best liver supplements offering exceptional potency to protect the liver against any harm. It is ideal among the various liver supplements available for healthy liver cells & tissues and to protect against inflammation and scarring.