Turmeric is a bright yellow staple spice used throughout Asia traditionally for long and has recently embraced its glory in the West, not just only for its various health benefits and cosmetogenic uses, but also for its potential immunity boosting capability. All its beneficial glory is because of its bioactive polyphenolic compound Curcumin. Curcumin is the main active ingredient in turmeric which has been used as a cure and remedy for several health benefits.
Curcumin is commercially available as supplements in both capsule, tabletor drop form. Mostly, Curcumin capsules are convenient as they encapsulate concentrated curcumin that prevents its oxidation.Recent studies have demonstrated that curcumin has a variety of benefits in the promotion of human health.
The top Curcumin uses in turmeric are as follows: -
1. Curcumin uses as an anti-inflammatory substance Inflammation is the body's natural response to get rid of bacteria, viruses, and infections. Curcumin present in turmeric, has anti-inflammatory property which fights inflammation at the molecular level by modulating pro-inflammatory cytokines and related signallingpathways, thus helps to resist against life threatening infection.
2. Curcumin has anti-oxidative properties- One of the reasons behind ageing and dreadful chronic diseasesare role of free-radical mechanism. The imbalance between free radicals and the body’s defence system against oxidative stress can cause various diseases. Curcumin is a potent antioxidant that can neutralize free radicals due to its chemical structure and thus enhances immunity.
3. Curcumin has anti-carcinogenic effect- Curcumin is scientificallyshown to have anticarcinogenic role for the prevention and treatment of different cancers. The underlying anticancer mechanisms of curcumin mainly depend on the inhibition of cancer cell growth, induction of cancer cell apoptosis, and suppression of cancer cell metastasis.
4.Curcumin uses as treatment of neurodegenerative diseases- Curcumin in turmeric is used as an adjuvant for the treatment of neurodegenerative diseases such as Alzheimer’s disease and Parkinson’s disease. Curcumin has shown this potential due to its antioxidant and anti-inflammatory activities and the ability to maintain the chemical balance in the brain.
The other health benefits of Curcumin are-
- Curcumin is good for Diabetic patient as it lowershyperglycaemia and improve insulin resistance.
- Curcumin helps to protect liver against overuse of drug and alcohol by its antioxidative enzymes.
- Curcumin helps to improve skin and hair health
The curcumin in turmeric is not present in high concentration, it is 3.14% by weight. Unfortunately, the curcumin in turmeric is poorly absorbed into the bloodstream and would be very difficult to reach the optimum level just by using the turmeric as spice in foods. It would be beneficial if one consumes black pepper along with it, which contains piperine, a natural substance that enhances the absorption of curcumin by 2,000%.
BestSource Nutrition’s Curcumin with Piperine veg capsules contains 95% curcumin extractwith 95% piperine extract. Thus, this is a highly bioavailable turmeric daily care supplement.
Therefore, if one wants to experience the full effects of curcumin supplements, BestSource Nutrition Curcumin supplement is the best which contains significant amounts of curcumin with piperinewith enhanced bioavailability among available curcumin supplements.