Hormones plays an important pivotal role in women’s body. Natural herbs like Nettle leaf or stinging nettle can optimize and balance hormones for optimal health, giving you great skin and hair as well.
Stinging Nettle or Nettle leaf is a common plant, its leaves can cause itching and a temporary discomfort hence earning it a lot of bad press. However,stinging nettle is a very beneficial perennial plant. In fact, the most popular use of this plant is as a tea brewed from the nettle leaf. The stinging nettle tea helps to get rid of allergies. Herbalists traditionally know its ability to improve skin, hairand bone health, especially for women.
Stinging nettle, also known as urtica dioica, contains substances like histamine andacetyle choline that are irritants to the skin and are released from the fine hair of nettle leaf. Despite this pain and temporary irritation stinging nettle might cause, it has phenomenal properties of being an antioxidant, antimicrobial, and analgesic. It is also used as a diuretic, for gout, anemia, muscle and joint pain. Moreover, this herb is a gift to women’s hormone health. Let us see how.
- Reduces joint pain: Stinging nettle leaf is a potent anti-inflammatory as it contains cytokines, which are anti-inflammatory. A study published in IJPSR 2013 by Choubey concluded that after one week of treatment with stinging nettle leaf, reduction in both pain and disability was significantly larger than with placebo.Two case studies by Br J Gen Pract 1994 and J R Soc Med 2000 suggest that topically applied Urtica reduces osteoarthritis pain. In a double-blind study, topical applications of Urtica and Lamium album were compared, wherein only Urtica was associated with relief of arthritic symptoms.
- Anti-allergic: Allergies can result in itching, sneezing, or cough. Nettle leaf, with its potent anti-inflammatory agents, contains histamine that is responsible for inhibiting various enzymes involved in an allergic reaction.A double blind study was published inPlanta Med, 1990 by Mittman P, which had been conducted on 98 individuals for comparing the effects of a freeze-dried preparation of Urtica dioica along with a placebo on allergic rhinitis. Urtica dioica was regarded as showing higher efficacy than the placebo in the assessments.
- Hair tonic: Nettle leaf works wonders for hair health. Stinging nettle, use in the form of a tea or used on the scalp,has been known to combat hair loss very effectively since ancient times. It makes hair healthier and shinier. It is also known to aid the retaining of hair color. Regular use of Nettle leaf on the scalp helps in getting rid of dandruff and keeps the scalp healthy and clean. An article published in the Journal of Cosmetic Dermatology, 2013 stated that Stinging nettle (Urtica dioica) was used as a traditional remedy as it possess anti-androgenetic effects, due to its biologically active phenolics, fatty acids, phytosterols, and lignans. Thus, its naturally derived compounds are anefficient hair growth promoter and prevent hair loss.
- Treats UTI: Women are more prone to getting UTIs. Stinging nettle is a great diuretic so it helps in flushing out more toxins involved in urinary tract infections. As it increases urination,nettle leaf helps with urinary infection and bladder infection. It also helps in breaking kidney stones into minute sizes to flush the crystals out with urine. It aids in the treatment of diarrhea. A double blind study published in the World Journal of Urology 2005states there is marked reduction in UTI symptoms through increasing urine volume. Likewise,a monograph on Therapeutic Guide to Herbal Medicines by Blumenthal M, 1998 approves the use of nettle leaf as a supportive therapy in patients with lower urinary tract infections.
- Improves cardiac health: Flavonoids present in nettle leafproduce a strong inhibitory effect on thrombin-induced platelet aggregation. This resultsupports the traditional use of Urtica dioica in the treatment and/or prevention of cardiovascular disease, without any damage to the liver.According to a research study published in PhytotherapyResource, 2006by El Haouari, flavonoids isolated from the nettle plant leaves produced a strong inhibitory effect on thrombin-induced platelet aggregation.Hence,stinging nettle leaf has the potential to inhibit platelet aggregation and improve lipid profile.
This herb is great for skin, hair and overall women’s health. Nettle leaf by BestSource Nutrition is the best variety to use. BestSource Nutrition's product Nettle Leaf herb is cultivated in the Himalayas and manufactured with a process to ensure high quality.
Nettle leaf herbal tea isagreat way to improve women’s health.