Thyroid patients find it difficult to lose weight, due to subnormal metabolism. However, one should remember that there are no short cuts to weight loss through exercise and following a thyroid diet. Many problems can be tackled if one has patience and aims towards the goal of weight control.
Thyroid disorder is a common problem in India today. Around 42 million people have thyroid disorders. In order to lose weight, a healthy and well-balanced thyroid diet and a regimen of exercise is extremely essential. However, on developing hypothyroidism, the body’s metabolism decreases and you start putting on weight, which is very difficult to lose.
This article will help you by providing insight into the science behind necessity to lose weight, and some useful guidelines to manage and prevent the problem of a low metabolism.
The thyroid gland, an endocrine gland, makes two important hormones, T3 and T4, which break down calories and boost the metabolism. T3 and T4 levels should not be too low or too high. Otherwise, they create problems in the body by disturbing the metabolism. Two glands in our brain i.e., hypothalamus and pituitary, are crucial in maintaining the balance of the T3 and T4 hormones. When the levels of these hormones go down, the metabolism slows down and a brake is applied on bodily functions. Due to this, one experiences various problems like feeling exhausted, anxious, low, jittery, skin becoming dry, hair beginning to fall, menstrual problems, declining interest in sex, bowel movements getting disturbed, blood pressure increasing, and appetite changing.
Lower levels of thyroid hormone hamper the body’s ability to burn calories due to a lowered metabolism, which makes losing excess weight difficult. Following the three step strategies given below can help thyroid patients to lose weight and tackle their metabolism- and thyroid related problems.
First Step- Follow a thyroid diet-
- The thyroid diet should be well balanced in terms of nutritional quantity and quality to prevent nutritional deficiencies such as selenium and iodine, which affect thyroid functioning.
- Eat fibrous foods as part of the thyroid diet. This will help you to feel full and prevent overeating. Including whole cereals, vegetables, whole pulses in the thyroid diet will help to increase the intake of complex carbohydrates.
- Thyroid diet should include nutrients such as zinc, riboflavin, niacin, and vitamin E. All of these boost thyroid function. They are abundantly available in green leafy vegetables, fruits, nuts and whole cereals.
- High glycaemic index foods cause excess glucose in the blood, which is converted into fat. Foods like corn, white bread, refined flour, cakes, etc. should be avoided while undergoing a thyroid diet.
- Thyroid diet does not include goitrogens, as they decrease the thyroid gland function by blocking the enzymes that help the thyroid gland to use iodine, leading to enlargement of the thyroid gland. Hence, goitrogen rich foods should be avoided while following a thyroid diet. These include soya and its products, broccoli, Brussels sprouts, cabbage, cauliflower, radishes, turnips, spinach, strawberry, peaches, pears, peanuts etc.
- Excess retention of water can cause weight gain in people with thyroid or metabolism related problems. In a thyroid diet, one should avoid salt-preserved foods (such as pickles, papad and ready-to-eat foods), carbonated and fizzy drinks (that cause water retention), and fried foods.
Second Step- Take a natural push from dietary supplements-
Hypothyroid patients suffer from weight gain because of the low activity of the thyroid gland. A lowered metabolism makes a person lethargic, tiring easily, with less energy, dull and sleepy etc. All these are symptoms of a low metabolism and due to these persistent problems, thyroid patients may face difficulty in adequately utilizing the body’s energy. At this point, for weight loss, thyroid patients need a natural support system to help them control their problems related to appetite, blood sugar levels, stepping up metabolism to burn fats and raise metabolism for improved energy and mood. In this condition, a natural weight loss dietary supplement can provide support to overcome the problems created by low metabolism. However, the natural supplement should give weight loss and appetite control results without any side effects or alternative problems.
That is why I always recommended "LOSE FAT™" from BestSource Nutrition as it is enriched with five natural ingredients such as Garcinia cambogia Extract, Green Coffee Extract, Green Tea Extract, Grape Seed Extract and Cinnamon Extract which collectively help in raising the metabolism and thus help in healthy weight reduction. All ingredients are clinically tested.
Third Step- Get fit with Exercise-
Diet alone, including a thyroid diet, cannot help to reduce weight. A thyroid diet, in combination with exercise, does wonders for hypothyroid patients. Start with a 15-minute workout and slowly increase the time daily. Concentrate on both, cardio exercises and weight training exercises, for rapid and lasting results.
Here are some benefits of exercise:
- Increases metabolism: Exercise boosts the metabolism, thus increasing body temperature, which further helps to fight water retention.
- Burns calories: Body fat is utilized as the body’s natural demand for energy increases while a person exercises, enabling healthy weight loss.
- Sleep benefits: Exercise causes the body to secret hormones which release pent up stress and tension, thus improving the sleep pattern.
Some more tips for weight management are:
- Be stress free as stress leads to problems such as unhealthy eating habits and causes one to binge eat.
- Take help from natural fat burners such as LOSE FAT™ to naturally elevate the mood and increase energy levels.
- A deep breathing exercise helps to lose weight, reduce stress and helps relaxation.
- Avoid using stimulants such as coffee, energy drinks such as Red bull, tea, soda that will help you to conquer problems of cyclical moods and fatigue start having natural teas such as chamomile herb tea.